Friday, January 30, 2009

And the storm cleared...

Well, I just had a very interesting few days of poker. I think it was my first official spot of variance. It lasted about 2,000 hands and was much more hardcore than I expected. I'm alright with people sucking out on me, sometimes I even chuckle. I lost $12 with AA thanks to the river. Both of my opponents made straights on the river in both hands. It was so bad last night I snapped a little inside, much to the dismay of the 2P2 Micro FR Regulars thread. It isn't even just getting bad cards, or no cards, it's much worse. It's bad cards compounded with getting sucked out on and rivered on top of not getting paid on any of your made hands, having no one respect your continuation bets, getting check raised and re-raised left right and center all over the place on every table... it's fucking brutal. I really didn't think it could be that bad, but boy was I mistaken. I feel lucky that it only lasted 2,000 hands, because that is by far some of the most frustrating nights of poker I've played, ever.

I do have to thank the people of the Micro FR Reg thread. I ranted huge and they were all really kind about it and I didn't get flamed like I expected. I feel bad for even posting what I did, but I really had no other outlet. Props to all them over there for helping me out. I wasn't able to post during the past two nights because I didn't end up going to bed until very late, hopefully I won't let that happen again. Anyways, on to tonights session...


Hands Played: 86
Hours: 0.97
Amount Won: $12.87
BB/100: 149.65
Tables: 2

I played a quick 2 table session tonight before dinner. I sat down at the table with a certain freshness and positiveness in my head before I started playing (i.e shook off the past few days). My second hand was AA, so I thought that was a sign. Turns out it was. I flopped the nut flush in one hand and stacked someone for a $4.25 pot, only to turn a straight on the very next hand and stack yet another someone for a $3.29 pot. I was also getting some fairly decent cards and took a few pots down with regular continuation bets and even hit a pair or two. The session I played only lasted 86 hands and less than an hour, but I made a definite solid amount in that time. My biggest losing hand was floating a regs continuation bet with 99, he fired a second barrel so I decided that was that.

A lesson can be learned from my past few days... variance is a bitch. The first day I was down $0.78, the second day I was up $12.10, but that didn't even matter. The session was atrocious and drove me insane. Last night was by far the most aggravating, running -$13.45 over 680 hands. The worst seems to be over for now, hopefully tomorrows sessions will be as profitable as earlier tonight. I leave you with one of the last hands from my short session...

BTN: $5.02

SB: $3.05
BB: $3.50
UTG: $9.53
UTG+1: $5.52
MP: $2.68
Hero (CO): $10.08

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero is CO with 5 A
3 folds, Hero raises to $0.15, 1 fold, SB calls $0.13, BB calls $0.10

Flop: ($0.45) J T 4 (3 players)
SB bets $0.10, BB calls $0.10, Hero calls $0.10

Turn: ($0.75) 7 (3 players)
SB bets $0.35, BB raises to $3.25 all in, Hero raises to $9.83 all in, SB calls $2.45 all in

River: ($10.05) Q (3 players - 3 are all in)

Final Pot: $10.05
SB mucks 6 2
BB shows 3 K (a flush, King high)
Hero shows 5 A (a flush, Ace high)
Hero wins $0.85
Hero wins $8.70

Bankroll: $232.25

No comments:

Post a Comment